This year PARD will be in person and the day before ARVO on Saturday, 22 April 2023. Everyone presenting at ARVO is invited to share their research in a quick 5-minute format (3 minutes presentation, 2 minutes discussion). This popular event will bring you up to speed on all the latest research in one day.
- It is FREE
- Saturday, 22 April 2023
- In person at the LSU Medical Education Building, 1901 Perdido Street, New Orleans
- Speaker application is closed
- PDF certificates of attendance and speaker certificates will be emailed to registered attendees 10-14 days after the meeting
Preliminary Program, Lecture Room A (1st floor)
8:00 am – Registration opens
10:00 am – Welcome
10:10 am – 1st Chancellor Award Lecture by Dr. Paulo E.C. Dantas, PAAO President
10:35 am – Anterior Segment presentations
11:50 am – 2nd Chancellor Award Lecture by Dr. Fernando Arevalo, PAOF Chair
12:15 pm – Posterior Segment presentations
1:30 pm – Coffee Break
2:05 pm – 1st Keynote Lecture by Dr. Haydee Bazan
2:25 pm – Anterior Segment presentations
3:40 pm – 3rd Chancellor Award Lecture by Dr. Rubens Belfort Jr.
4:10 pm – Posterior Segment presentations
5:30 pm – 2nd Keynote Lecture by Dr. Nicolas Bazan
6:00 pm – Awards and closing reception
To stimulate research at the Pan-American level and recognize the efforts of our young investigators, the Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology (PAAO) has been organizing the Pan-American Research Day, in conjunction with the important partnerships with the Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) and with Allergan Latin America, for the past several years and it has become an exciting tradition.
The best three works by researchers under 40 in each group will receive a prize.
- Six $500 dollar prizes
The prizes are sponsored by the Arno Habicht Award for Research Sciences and the David & Molly Pyott Foundation. To be considered for a prize, you must be 40 years old or less and from the Americas, Spain, or Portugal. Remember, one award per person. If you have already received an award from ARVO, you do not qualify for a PAAO prize. If you have already received a scholarship previously from the PAAO, you do not qualify. You must present your paper to win. No speaker substitutions will be allowed.
Co-Chairs, Organizing Committee
Lihteh Wu (Costa Rica)
Arturo Ramirez Miranda (Mexico)
Check out the 2023 program
This is a free event!
Mark your calendar to attend/participate!
Online Registration is closed.
Special Guest Speakers
Chancellor Award Lectures
Paulo E.C. Dantas, MD PhD
- President of the PAAO
- Editor-in-Chief of the Pan-American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Professor of Ophthalmology, Corneal and External Disease Service,
Department of Ophthalmology,
Hospital Oftalmológico de Sorocaba, São Paulo
J. Fernando Arevalo, MD, PhD, FACS, FASRSMD
- Edmund F. and Virginia B. Ball Professor of Ophthalmology
- Wilmer Eye Institute & Chairman at Bayview Medical Center
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Baltimore, MD, USA
Rubens Belfort Jr. MD PhD
- Clinica Belfort, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Federal University of Sao Paulo (1991-present)
- Membro da Academia Ophthalmologica Universalis; Membro Academia Nacional de Medicina; Membro Academia Brasileira de Ciências; Membro Academia Brasileira de Farmácia
Haydee Bazan PhD
- Professor, in Ophthalmology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, LSU Medical Center, School of Medicine, New Orleans
Nicolas Bazan MD PhD
- Boyd Professor
Ernest C. and Yvette C. Villere Chair for the Study of Retinal Degeneration
- Professor of Ophthalmology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Neurology
- Director, Neuroscience Center of Excellence
- School of Medicina, LSU Health, New Orleans, Louisiana USA
Thank you to our Moderators
Moderators, Anterior Segment Sessions:
Alejandro Babayan Sosa (Mexico), Manuel Ramírez Fernandez (Mexico)
Moderators, Posterior Segment Sessions:
Carolina Sardi (Colombia), Claudia Acosta (Colombia), Guillermo Salcedo Villanueva (Mexico), Jasmine R. Elison (USA), Juan Gonzalo Sánchez Montoya (Colombia)
Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology
ARVO, Allergan and Louisiana State University Health New Orleans, School of Medicine