Leadership CourseThe Power of the Pan-American Network
What is the Leadership Course?
Dr. Zelia Correa is the former director of the Pan-American Leadership Course (2002-2022). This course has been extremely successful in giving young ophthalmologists the tools they need to be leaders and advocates in their local, national and international communities.
Current Curso Director: Dr. Peter A. Quiros
Consistent with the recent emphasis on mutual commitments between the PAAO, the National Ophthalmological Societies, the Affiliated Subspecialty Societies and for this program, in particular, we are requiring a financial commitment on the part of both organizations and the participant. We feel that to optimize the success of this program, a ‘buy-in’ on the part of all involved will be crucial for this program.
The ideal candidate will be those doctors in your organization that:
- are currently practicing ophthalmology independently, in a public, private or academic setting (no fellows or residents will be accepted);
- have shown to be ethical and respectful to patients, peers and staff; have been a full member of the nominating society (subspecialty or national society) for at least 3 years after completion of their training;
- have demonstrated a willingness to work and organizational skills, and have a great potential for development and service in their organization and the PAAO.
- The participant must be a member of the PAAO in order to be nominated (no exceptions).
- Most importantly, the candidate must have exhibited dedication and community service and interest in your society’s activities.
We are sure that National and Subspecialty societies will be able to identify and send us the name of the person with these prerequisites. In the selection process, preference will be given to younger ophthalmologists (under age 45) who have demonstrated a trajectory of leadership.
Note: 2023-2025 is a two (2) year leadership program.
Mandatory participation in:
- Orientation (Virtual/Zoom, 28 October 2023)
- Work Session in San Francisco, California (Thursday 11 January – Sunday 14 January 2024)
- Project update Session (Virtual/Zoom, September 2024)
- Final Session/Graduation (30 May-2 June 2025, Bogota, Colombia)
Deadline for nominations by national and subspecialty societies: 15 July 2023
Deadline for completed applications by nominated candidates: 15 August 2023