2019 ARVO Travel Award ApplicationReceipt Deadline March 15, 2019
Please read all the information below before filling out the application. It is your responsibility to know the information.
Requirements for Application:
- The applicant must be 40 years old or less.
- The applicant must be a Resident or Fellow.
- The candidate must be lead/first author on an accepted Paper or Poster scheduled for presentation at the 2019 ARVO meeting. A copy of the acceptance letter/email from ARVO or scheduling information should be included with the application.
- The candidate must be recommended to the PAAO by ophthalmology department chairmen or national ophthalmological societies affiliated with the PAAO (include two-page CV with your request for information). The letter should address 1) the candidate’s qualifications as well as 2) confirm the candidate’s status as a resident or fellow.
- The candidate must be a member of the PAAO at the time the application is submitted. Member-in-Training dues are $50. Maximum of five (5) years as a member-in-training. If you have any questions, please contact the PAAO Administrative Office to confirm your membership status.
- The candidate must present a summary of his/her accepted work at the Pan-American Research Day, Saturday, April 27, 2019, the day prior to the ARVO meeting, in Vancouver, BC Canada. You must be present to receive the award at the Awards Ceremony. No substitute presenters are permitted.
- Non-appearance on April 27, 2019, will constitute a complete cancellation of the award.
Important! Award Payment Method
Checks will be presented to PAAO/ARVO Travel Award recipients at the end of Pan-American Research Day (Saturday, April 27, 2019).
If you do not have a US bank account, there are several banks and check cashing facilities in Vancouver. Banks and check cashing facilities generally require two forms of identification and charge a fee to cash checks. Award recipients are responsible for cashing their own checks and paying any related fees.
Pan-American Scholarship Policies and Awardee Responsibilities
- The Awardee is responsible for obtaining the appropriate visa documentation, if applicable.
- The Awardee understands that his or her name may appear in the PAOF newsletters or other promotional material to promote this program for future participants.
- The Awardee assumes entire responsibility and hereby agrees to protect, indemnify, defend, and save the Pan-American Ophthalmological Foundation (PAOF) and the Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology (PAAO) and their employees and agents, harmless against all claims, losses and damages to persons or property, governmental charges, or fines and attorney’s fees arising out of or caused by the Awardee’s participation in any PAAO/PAOF Program.
In addition, the Awardee acknowledges that the PAOF and PAAO do not maintain insurance covering the Awardee’s property or person and that it is the sole responsibility of the Awardee to obtain property damage, life and travel insurances covering such losses by the Awardee. Types of insurance needed while in the program may include (but are not limited to): personal medical insurance, malpractice insurance, auto insurance, renters insurance, travel insurance The Awardee is responsible for all expenses incurred while in the program, e.g. payment of his or her own housing, food, insurance, medical bills, etc. The PAOF assumes no responsibility or liability for the accidental injury or death of the Awardee.
- The Awardee will submit a short report (one page) regarding his/her experience with PARD and ARVO 2019 to the PAAO/PAOF.
The Arno Habicht Award for Research Sciences is open to
- Latin American residents and fellows in ophthalmology, currently living in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America
- under the age of 40
The Pyott ARVO Travel Scholar Award is open to
- Spanish-speaking Latin American residents and fellows in ophthalmology, currently living in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America
- under the age of 40