ARVO Travel Award Application
Please read all the information below before filling out the application. It is your responsibility to know the information.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Requirements for Application:
- The applicant must be 40 years old or less.
- The applicant must be lead/first author on an accepted Paper or Poster scheduled for presentation at the 2023 ARVO meeting. A copy of the acceptance letter/email from ARVO or scheduling information should be included with the application.
- The applicant must be a member of the PAAO at the time the application is submitted. Active Member (ophthalmologist) dues are US$200, Affiliate Member (PhD, researcher) dues are US$75, Member-in-Training dues are US$50. Maximum of five (5) years as a member-in-training. If you have any questions, please contact the PAAO Administrative Office to confirm your membership status.
- The award recipient must present a summary of his/her accepted work at the Pan-American Research Day, Saturday, April 22nd, the day prior to the ARVO meeting, in Baltimore, Maryland USA. The award recipient must be present to receive the award at the Awards Ceremony. No substitute presenters are permitted.
- Non-appearance on April 22, 2023 will constitute a complete cancellation of the award.
Pan-American Scholarship Policies and Awardee Responsibilities
- The Awardee is responsible for obtaining the appropriate visa documentation, if applicable.
- The Awardee understands that his or her name may appear in Pan-American newsletters or other promotional material to promote this program for future participants.
- The Awardee assumes entire responsibility and hereby agrees to protect, indemnify, defend, and save the Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology (PAAO) and the Pan-American Ophthalmological Foundation (PAOF) and their employees and agents, harmless against all claims, losses and damages to persons or property, governmental charges, or fines and attorney’s fees arising out of or caused by the Awardee’s participation in any PAAO/PAOF Program.
In addition, the Awardee acknowledges that the PAAO and PAOF do not maintain insurance covering the Awardee’s property or person and that it is the sole responsibility of the Awardee to obtain property damage, life and travel insurances covering such losses by the Awardee. Types of insurance needed while in the program may include (but are not limited to): personal medical insurance, malpractice insurance, auto insurance, renters insurance, travel insurance The Awardee is responsible for all expenses incurred while in the program, e.g. payment of his or her own housing, food, insurance, medical bills, etc. The Pan-American assumes no responsibility or liability for the accidental injury or death of the Awardee.
- The Awardee will submit a short report (one page) regarding his/her experience with PARD and ARVO to the PAAO/PAOF within 45 days of the end of the ARVO meeting.
The Arno Habicht Award for Research Sciences is open to
- Latin American residents and fellows in ophthalmology, currently living in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America
- under the age of 40
The Pyott ARVO Travel Scholar Award is open to
- Spanish-speaking Latin American residents and fellows in ophthalmology, currently living in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America
- under the age of 40
Disclaimer: Employees of the Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology (PAAO), Pan-American Ophthalmological Foundation (PAOF), members of the PAAO Executive Committee, members of the PAOF Board of Directors, their immediate family members and members of the same household, whether related or not, are not eligible to apply for scholarship/fellowship funding. All scholarships are subject to federal laws and regulations and are void where prohibited by law or regulation. Applicants agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by decisions of the Review Committee which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the scholarship/fellowship. The PAAO & PAOF reserve the right to disqualify any applicant that they determine, in their sole discretion, to be ineligible to participate in the scholarship/fellowship program. Individuals who have previously received scholarship/fellowship funding are ineligible to apply for additional scholarships/fellowships/funding.